Friday, November 30, 2007

Week 17 and 1est term practical Week 17 and 1st semester practical exam

This week was a doozey! Im glad its over!

First off we had out grand buffet in my garde manger class. All week we prepared for it, and on Thursday we had an insane amount of beautiful food. I took tons of photos and here they are.




As I said the entire week was devoted to getting ready for this one buffet, so there isn’t a lot to talk about. A lot of chopping and such but nothing too too exciting.
Thursday was amazing though. My team had 3 action stations where we were preparing food live in front of the guest. These stations included a bananas Foster station, and oyster station, and a spinach salad station with warm bacon dressing (I swear that one was not my idea, but how Wisconsin is that!!) In addition to the live action stations, we made a smoke duck breast salad, with tangerine vinagrette, a canapé with homemade marscapone cheese and lobster, and the most beautiful cheese display in all the land (which I made).

The semester test was today, and it was a little scary. We had 2.5 hours to make four portions of protein, sauce, starch, and 2 vegetables. This morning I drew menu 2, which for those of you who haven’t spent every waking minute of the last two weeks studying these menus, I’ll fill you in. Menu two is chicken breast, with sauce fine herbs, fresh pasta, tourned zucchini and carrots, and shrimp bisque. My food turned out great and I made it just under the wire. The test is pass fail, I passed with a score in the mid 80’s which is pretty respectable.

Now I'm looking forward to a nice bottle of wine and a pot roast dinner with David when he is done with work tonight. We really need to stop working opposite schedules..ick.

Random tidbits for the week are that I sliced proccuito for Francis Ford Coppola at Dean and DeLuca. He was a little needy, but it was pretty cool. The CIA is also decking out for the holidays. I'll include a photo of school next week.

Hope everyone is doing well and isn;t too cold in the mid west.

Lots of love
xoxoxoxox
Abby

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Whew! I knew yesterday was your big mid-term test and was chewing my nails that you would kick cooking butt. I was confident, but I'm really glad you did well. BTW, I still want to hang out in the halls of the CIA with a fork! Your buffet and menu sound delicious.

I'm so excited to see you and David for thirty seconds at Christmas!

Love you!

Ann said...

Congratulations on passing your big test! I knew you could do it.

Awesome celebrity sighting.

And I can't wait to see you in 3 weeks!