Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Beer and a culinary (mis?)adventure

Today was my day off and I decided it would be a great time to brew some beer and make a recipe I've been wanting to try. I know that I said my next brew would be the wedding beer, but I forgot that I have the ingredients for a batch of witbier. For those of you keeping track, it's Wade's Wit, the beer I brewed to exchange for his couches. It's a fairly light Belgian wheat beer spiced with coriander, cumin, and orange peel.

As for my culinary adventure, I made a recipe called Koolickles. On the latest season of Feasting on Asphalt, Alton Brown learned about Koolickles when he was traveling in the south. Apparently they are a traditional southern food. He gave a recipe on a recent episode of Good Eats. For those of you who don't know, here are the ingredients:



That's right, dill pickles, Kool-aid, and sugar. To be exact, the recipe calls for a 1 gallon jug of dill pickles, one pound of sugar, and two envelopes of cherry Kool-Aid. I reduced it down to a 1.5 quart jar of pickles, because frankly I'm not sure I want a whole gallon of these things. All you do is drain the pickles, reserving the brine, slice them in half lengthwise, put them back in the jar, dissolve the sugar and Kool-Aid in the brine, and pour it back into the jar. After two weeks you've got Koolickles. Here's what they look like today:



This could easily be the weirdest thing I've ever made. I can't wait to try them. I'll let you know if they're any good.

David

3 comments:

Ann said...

You are a brave man. Much braver than I am. Good luck with the strangest pickles I've ever seen!

Actually, if it wasn't for the sugar, it might not sound so odd--unsweetened KoolAid is awfully tart. Seriously, though, I'm glad I'm not around to try them!

Peanut said...

Um I would stick to beer David. But I am excited to hear about the taste :)

Barbara said...

You are so my kid! I would make those in a heartbeat. As an added bonus, they look totally gross in the jar. Can't wait to hear how they taste.