Saturday, July 28, 2007

My First Week of School

Hello Everyone!

I am done with my first week of school, which went by in the blink of an eye. I am now 1/30 done with school. Yay!!

The first real day was more than a little scattered and crazy but the second was a ton better, thanks to Joel and Andrew our Sous Chefs (a randomly assigned rotating position). They really took control and laid out for us exactly what was expected and when it was due. The rest of the week went really well, crazy and fast paced, but well.
This week I learned how to cut vegetables into a zillion crazy shapes. We, as a class made stock, white chicken and brown veal, french onion soup, and chicken and rice soup.

Next week is consommme (which is a stock that is clarified using egg whites, ground meat, and veggies which come together and form a raft which then traps all the impurities). The stock ends up crystal clear and will be part of our Skills I test at the end of our first 3 weeks. Its super complicated and finicky so that will be he hardest part of my test, Im sure.

Last night Dave and Doug (6'7" guy from Iowa in my class) and Caroline (from Minneapolis, by way of Madison) and I went to see Ratatouille and it was awesome! What a funny movie. Tonight we are going to a party at some of my classmates house, and then Sunday we are off to the Gillroy Garlic Festival in Gillroy CA. Hurray!

I love you all tons and thanks for the cards and phone calls of encouragement. It meant a ton during this crazy stressful week (The instructors call week one RUSH week or hell week).
Lots of love and hugs to all

Abby :)

7 comments:

Barbara said...

Whew! Only 29 more weeks to go. I'm glad your first week went well. Sounds like you're learning cooking from the ground up and will be a veritable genius when it's over. I never doubted you for a minute.

Love, Barbara

Barbara said...

Do you get to eat your schoolwork?

Abby&David said...

Yes in fact we do! The first few days the CIA professional cooks made us lunch (we were making roux...not such a good lunch), but next week is soup! On the menu is Caribbean black bean soup and shrimp bisque! Yum Yum. Thanks for all the encouragement Barbara, I look at the card you sent blurry eyed when I wake up at 5:30 every morning for school. Its nice to know so many people are thinking of me.
Thanks a ton and lots of love!
Abby

Barbara said...

I'd be willing to sample both soups. Sounds deeeeeliciious! You'll have to share the recipes someday. Or you could send me a bowl of each.

Love, Barbara

Ann said...

Congrats on surviving your first week, Abby! You're going to succeed magnificently at this CIA thing.
Love,
Ann

Peanut said...

Hey darling. I am glad "hell week" is over. I pretty much have a picture in my head of Hell's Kitchen so even if it wasn't that bad let me pretend. I hope week two is better and more structured. I am glad you are having fun with you classmates! Talk to you soon.

Love, Leigh-

Peanut said...

Hey darling. I am glad "hell week" is over. I pretty much have a picture in my head of Hell's Kitchen so even if it wasn't that bad let me pretend. I hope week two is better and more structured. I am glad you are having fun with you classmates! Talk to you soon.

Love, Leigh-