Saturday, September 15, 2007

Week 8

Week 8 of cooking school

This week went by in a flash, partly because I only was at school for three days. Tuesday I had a migraine and was out for the count all day. I missed school, and thank goodness I didn’t have to work. Yikes. So that wa
s no fun at all.

On Wednesday I was feeling much better, which was good because we had a field trip to San Francisco and Berkley. We all loaded onto a bus and drove to San Francisco and went to a farmer’s market downtown. Then we went to a meatpacking plant which was a lot more interesting than it sounds. It was first freakishly clean, which was good since this place supplies most of napa valley with meat. Next it was so interesting to see guys French a rack of lamb in 3 minutes, where it takes me 10 times that amount. They were amazing. We then went to Mel’s dinner, which is a SF classic. It’s all done in chrome and is the typical 50’s dinner. It was too fun. Next we went to the Ferry building, which has a bunch of food stores, (Scharffen-berger chocolates, Acme sourdough bread etc) and some restaurants like the slanted door which I still haven’t been to, but need to go to. Next we went to Berkley and went to Berkley bowl, which is a huge gourmet/hippie supermarket. We were all pretty tired by then so we all just clumped around and then got back on the bus to go home. It was a really fun day though and it was nice to spend time with people from school in normal clothes and do normal stuff.

The rest of the week (the other three days) went really fast and was kind of a blur, food was made and served and enjoyed. I'm 25% done with cooking school and I feel like I have learned a ton, and I'm really enjoying it. Lots of love to everyone and come and visit us in Napa!!! (Its 80 and beautiful right now!!) Abby


Some field trip photos

Sorry its side ways, this is me at the meat packing plant. How cute am I in a hair net. Too cute, right? The ex vegetarian and the hanging side of beef. yikes.




Ok, don't worry moms and grandmas and Leigh. This is Joel, one of my friends from school. We were at Mel's Dinner and couldn't resist the sock hop/ 50's dinner pose. You all know me far too well to think I would share my chocolate malt with any man, maybe not even David.


Always gray and cold in SF.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Okay, that's enough of that! First you cozy up to a side of beef and then share a chocolate malt with some, well, some boy! Honestly, I'm going to have to have a talk with my son to make sure he's doing his boyfriend/fiance-ly duty. Just kidding. Sounds like you're having fun and learning tons. I can't wait to see you again. I miss you.
Love, Barbara

Abby&David said...

Barbara -

Its true I am having fun and learning tons. David is a prince, as you know, and is doing his fiance-ly duties. I have beautiful flowers in our living room to prove it.
Im glad to hear that your trip to the clearing went well. Im glad you didn't freeze to death. I miss you tons too. I hope all is well in Wi.
Love, Abby

Peanut said...

Hey there darling! First of all HOLY SHIT you are 25% done???? That is kind of crazy. Secondly I thought you were laying on top of meat until I saw your disclaimer, thank goodness cause that would have been kinda gross. Thirdly I love that I was included withthe moms and grandmas cause you know I was like "who the hell is this kid?" Miss you too much! I am glad you got to go on a little field trip, I wish I could. I think the fluorescent lights are killing me slowly but surely here at 3M. LOVE YOU!

-Leigh-

Ann said...

Abby,
Thanks for getting back to me about the yarn! I'm looking forward to jumping in and getting started.
And thanks for the happy thoughts. So far, the week is going well. I hope your head is better this week!
Love,
Ann

Ann said...

David,
You had a violent prolonged transformative psychic episode.
Love,
Ann