Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Cooking school week 7

This week was the first week of my third class at cooking school, entitled skills 3 – production. In this class we pretty much make the rest of the school lunch. At 12 they line up, put in an order and then we make what they order after they order it. Like a real restaurant, no? yes!

So anyways, in this new class we get a lot more freedom to be creative in the kitchen. One of the first days we made roast chicken, and the next day I made curry chicken salad for the lunch menu. It was quite a hit, so I felt good about that. My group is more than a little crazy, some intense personalities, and we will be together for the whole class, which will be a test of patience on my part. On Friday I made chicken Kiev, and tonight I am making it for David, because he has never had it before. I’m excited to make him something I learned how to make in school.

My professor is ok, he is really knowledgeable but sometimes gives us too many things to think about. It is information over load, and hard to sift thought and figure out what exactly he wants us to do. Like the other day we were making mashed potatoes, and he said “Mashed potatoes are nice, maybe you could put some cheddar cheese in them , and some chives and some bacon..that would be nice right? You could also add some flour and some eggs and make gnocchi that would be real nice to right? What about berny potatoes we should find some truffles and you could totally make berny potatoes…” After saying things like that we walks away, and I’m left to figure out which of the three different potatoes he would like in an hour… It’s a little tricky, but I’m figuring out how to read him.

Other than that everything is going well. David and I spent Saturday together, which is pretty rare for us. We went wine tasting, and out for lunch, and then we went to a movie that was outside in a winery. It was really really fun, and Victoria, my pal from school came along to the movie. Next week we have a field trip to San Francisco to look forward to.

Lots of love,
Abby

2 comments:

Ann said...

Ugh, I hate it when people aren't clear in their instructions. Can you ask for clarification?

Abby&David said...

I'm not quite sure, its just pretty free form. He has a lot of knowledge and it just comes rushing out of him sometimes. Oh well, he could be a lot worse! I hope all is well Ann :)