Monday, August 11, 2008

Lots to catch up on!

Well, we've been hearing that people still check our blog and want us to keep posting, so here goes. (We're not at all sure that we're interesting enough to keep blogging, so read at your own risk.)

After the wedding, which was pretty much the most fun we've ever had, we had to face reality and find jobs. I (David) posted my resume online and found a job with Big Sky Brewing in Missoula, MT. We packed up our stuff again and drove to Missoula, and I started work one week after the day they offered me the job. I'm really enjoying my job; it's a great group of people and I get to make about 3300 gallons of beer every day.

Abby found seasonal work at a luxury camping resort outside of town, but is still looking for another job for when this one ends. She's got promising leads with a local bakery and another restaurant here in town.

We spent our first week living in a hotel room while we were looking for somewhere to live. We found a great apartment on the south side of town and were able to move in after a week. Here are some photos.

First, our kitchen with a bit of our dining table visible at the bottom.

This is a view of our living room with the other side of the dining table visible.

This is our couch and coffee table. I included this photo because I'd like to point out the incredible tiling job that Abby did on this table. We got it without any insert for $5 at a thrift store, and Abby tiled and grouted it herself. It is my favorite piece of furniture in the house.

Next is the master bedroom and spare bedroom/office space.

Here is a shot of our porch and the view from the porch. We have chairs, a table, and our grill out here.

Finally, for house pictures, here is the autographed lyrics of Take the Money and Run from Steve Miller that I got from Wade and Ali for my birthday last year. I'm thrilled to have it displayed in the house.


Today, Abby and I decided to hike up to the M. Up the side of Mt. Sentinel, adjacent to the U of Montana campus, there is a huge concrete M. Evidently, these letters are common in towns across the western US. It is probably the most popular hike in Missoula and was voted the best view in the Missoula Independent newspaper. We were huffing and puffing due to our low level of physical activity lately, but we had a great time and enjoyed the spectacular view.

Here is a photo looking down the M to the campus and city below. Abby is standing at the bottom of the M. She's really there, I promise.


Here's one of me hiking down from the top of the M. Yes, I'm wearing my khaki kilt and I really appreciated the breeze on a hot, sunny day.

This is both of us at the bottom of the M.


And finally, here is a bonus photo. This is from our trip home down Route 66. This is a famous truck trailer in a small town in Illinois. I believe that it is from the Cambell Trucking Company. It may be the greatest slogan I've ever seen and it has launched me into a search for a t-shirt. I made Abby get out of the car in the rain to take this photo of me.


Hope you enjoyed, and we'll try to keep up with the blog.
David and Abby

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Finally! Cool apartment, wonderful views. Can't wait to get there. We're so glad you two are having a good time and enjoying "real" life out there in the wild west. Excellent semi trailer. Worth a pic in the rain.

love, Mom

Ann said...

Your new place looks great! I'm glad you're settling in. I imagined the M was a stand-up sign, like the Hollywood sign--it's interesting that it's just flat on the hillside. Hopefully, someday I'll make it out there and I can hike up with you!
Love,
Ann

Aunt Martha said...

Hi! So glad I checked in today and got to see your cute apt! Loved seeing some of your new finds and many of Grandma Carol's Art/furniture pieces! Miss you! LIve, AM