Monday, August 24, 2009

Lots of Updates--Part 2

Here's the second installment of updates, enjoy!

David's Gelateria(By David)

I decided that we should make use of our ice cream maker this summer, and I found an absolutely terrific recipe book. It's called "Making Artisan Gelato" by Torrance Kopfer. We've only tried two recipes from it so far--blueberry and pistachio--but they were both fantastic. They're the first homemade ice creams we've made that don't freeze into a block of impenetrable ice overnight. I highly recommend the book to anyone with a home ice cream maker! Here are some photos of me making pistachio gelato last week.

First, here's a photo of the raw pistachios toasting on the stove and the milk and most of the sugar heating up.

Once the milk came to a simmer, I added the pistachios, simmered for 15 min, removed the pan from the heat and steeped for an hour. Then I pureed the milk and pistachios in the blender and let it steep another hour.

Here's the milk and pistachio puree heating up to 170F along with the beaten egg yolks to temper into the milk.

Once they were tempered together, I stirred them until the custard coated the back of my spoon. The finished custard went into an ice bath with a little heavy cream to begin chilling, and then into the fridge overnight to let the flavors marry.


The next day, I stirred in some vanilla extract and poured it into our ice cream maker.

I packaged it in 8oz containers so it would be easier for us to eat some without the rest getting all melty and then icy when it refreezes.

It's some pretty darned good pistachio gelato if I do say so myself--and I do say so!

Visitors from MN
(by Abby)

In other new on our way home from visiting folks in MN and WI I got a call from my friend E who I went to Stout with. E is a flight attendant with Northwest and I have been bugging her to come and visit us in MT since the day after we moved here. She called and announced that she would be visiting us the weekend after we got home from our Midwest adventure. She had told her folks about her trip to MT and they decided that they wanted in too. It ended up that E’s dad got bogged down at work and couldn’t make the trip so it was David and me and the Hanson ladies.

We had a great time hiking, shopping, eating, and drinking far, far too much wine. It was so great getting to know Mrs. Hanson better, and getting to sit on my patio and have some much needed girl talk over a bottle of wine...or two…or three with E. She and I took wine classes at Stout and in Spain together and had a blast recalling those crazy college days over some vino. Here is a photo and E and I on a hike in the Rattlesnake. Don’t we look outdoorsy?



Julia Child’s Birthday Dinner

On August 15th we celebrated Julia Child’s Birthday with a meal Julia herself would have been proud of. We made Julia’s Roast Chicken (which has onions, lemon, herbs in its cavity, and is then smeared with a whole stick of butter) mashed potatoes, and beautiful green beans. We watched our DVD of “The French Chef” and watched Julia make the perfect omelets and watched as she used a saw to break down a whole swordfish. Where in 1960’s you could find a whole swordfish in Cambridge Mass? I have no idea. Or where the housewives in the Midwest were supposed to find one as they watched her show on PBS is anyone’s guess. But God love her. We hope all of you had a great Aug 15th, and toasted Julia’s 97th.




Don't worry, there are more updates coming shortly!

Love,
Abby and David

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Oh look, honey, they can still type! We thought all that brewing and chefing made you forget.

Mmm, chicken and beans looks yummy. Yes, please, I'll have pistachio gelato for dessert.